-equiv=’refresh’/> It's Debby's Corner Nigeria..: Female Artistes Must Learn To Sell Their Talent, Not Their Bodies —Sunkanmi

Friday, March 21, 2014

Female Artistes Must Learn To Sell Their Talent, Not Their Bodies —Sunkanmi


For some artistes who have hit it big in the Nigerian music industry, there was a time when they never believed they would ever go far in their chosen career. This was the exact scenario that played out when fast-rising singer, Sunkanmi Alonge, was starting out as a musician. She says despite realising that she was born to sing, she was convinced she could never win the hearts of the very critical Nigerian music lovers.

“I know I have always enjoyed singing a lot, but funnily, I didn’t believe I could make a career singing. I have consistently penned down lyrics for songs as far back as when I was 18.

“I was stage shy and always afraid of what people’s comment would be; but my friends and brothers have always cheered me on. In all honesty, I was challenged and encouraged by my brother who pushed me to record a demo. The rest, they say, is history.”


With two singles entitled Casanova and Tenumo, produced by TY Mix and ID Cabasa currently enjoying airplay across the country, she intends to become a household name in no time.

When asked how she intends to handle advances from men, the singer who is blessed with good looks says she has a way around men.

“I’m in a committed relationship and I know where to draw the line between a fan and men who are after my beauty. I have consistently done that before now and being in the spotlight won’t change that. 
A lot of female artistes must learn to sell their talents and not their bodies in exchange for fame or acceptance. Beauty fades, but talent is evergreen,” she says.

Sunkanmi, who is also a song writer, is more comfortable singing soulful ballads and currently trying her hands on other popular genres of music.

The singer who recently shot the video for one of the singles entitled Casanova says, “I’m mostly a soulful person but many people say its R ‘n’ B. However, my focus is singing and doing it to the best of my ability in all forms.”

No comments:

Post a Comment