-equiv=’refresh’/> It's Debby's Corner Nigeria..: My Journey Through Depression!

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

My Journey Through Depression!



Hello guys, I have decided to get more personal with my blog readers. the truth is, I love writing but I end up not posting my write-ups anywhere because I feel they are not good enough... so let me know after reading this if you would want me to write more about life and Me. lol.
So I battled with Depression for a long time that no one had an idea of what was wrong with me, I had no idea too! I was just angry about life and all life is throwing at me. I was angry that my life isn't turning out how I imagined it to be, I was simply angry at everything. But today, that is history, I managed to get through that phase without being suicidal and that is what I want to share with you all. let me also know in the comment section if you found these tips useful.
Lets start with Explaining what DEPRESSION is...
Depression is a weakening condition that can make it impossible for you to enjoy your daily existence. Depression weighs you down with feelings of overwhelming sadness, loneliness, worthlessness, and cannot imagine that things will get any better, it makes you angry about life, yourself, everyone around you! The worst thing is that Depression drains your energy, hope, and drive, making it difficult for you to take any steps that will help you to feel better. yes, Its that bad!
Most people go through this phase without knowing, it took me time to know that I was actually Depressed! 
To overcome your depression, you have to first determine if what you're feeling are the symptoms of depression.

How to Know That You Are Suffering from Depression.

- You feel worthless, helpless, or guilty without knowing why.

- You're feeling hopeless about most aspects of your life and can't imagine that anything will improve for you.

- You feel a decrease in your energy levels and are tired no matter what you do.

- You feel restless at night and have trouble sleeping.

- You've stopped feeling pleasure doing the activities that used to make you happy, such as spending time with friends, pursuing your career, or being intimate. (I stopped blogging! It wasn't giving me joy anymore.)

- You are overeating, and adding unnecessary weight! (that was my battle!)

- It is much easier for you to be alone than to put the effort into interacting with others.

- You constantly feel irritable for no reason.

- You have had thoughts of suicide. If you are thinking suicidal thoughts, please seek help immediately, mine didn't get to that.



Ways to Overcome Depression.




1. Reach out and stay connected To Loved Ones: By loved ones I mean genuine friends not "frienemies" that will mock your situation! when you are sure that this is really someone I need to confide in;

- Talk to the person about your feelings, you should be able to confide in that person. the truth is, talking about your problem with the right person kind of relieves you a bit.. yeah, It worked for me.

- Ask a loved one to check in with you regularly. sometimes loneliness can contribute more to your condition.

2. Do things that make you feel good/Happy: You have to make a conscious effort to do only those things that made you happy because In order for you to overcome depression, you have to do things that relax and energizes you. It might not be of interest to you anymore because of your current state but you have to force your self.  It might mean Picking up a former hobby or a sport you used to like,  Express yourself through music, art, or writing like I was doing, Going out with friends, Watching a funny movie or TV show, etc. just find a way to be happy.

3. Eat healthy and Stop eating Junks : What you eat has a direct impact on the way you feel. Reduce your intake of foods that can affect your brain and mood, such as caffeine, alcohol, fast foods. Etc.  Biko you must not skip meals, its a No No! please don't be like me, I was only eating junks and skipping proper meals, that only worsen my condition.

4. Challenge Negative Thinking and Have A Mind Shift To Positive:  Depression puts a negative spin on everything, including the way you see yourself and your expectations for the future, you have to fight that feeling and start believing in yourself, start thinking positively about your self and about life, that is only when things will begin to work out well.

5. Try New Things: You have to start doing something new, something totally different from what you would do on a normal day. "When we challenge ourselves to do something different, there are chemical changes in the brain, Trying something new alters the levels of [the brain chemical] dopamine, which is associated with pleasure, enjoyment, and learning." I decided to learn new recipes, watch you-tube videos for new food. you can try something different.

6. Take a Responsibility: When you’re depressed, you may want to pull back from life and give up your responsibilities at home and at work, it's never a good option. Staying involved and having daily responsibilities can help you maintain a lifestyle that can help counter depression. They ground you and give you a sense of accomplishment. Even though my job was part of the reason I was depressed, I never stopped going, in-fact! I learnt new things daily and I became more engaged and useful.

7. Have fun: If you’re depressed, make time for things you enjoy. What if nothing seems fun anymore? "That's just a symptom of depression,". As strange as it might sound, you have to work at having fun. Plan things you used to enjoy, even if they feel like a chore. Keep going to the movies. Keep going out with friends, keep facebooking and Instagraming lol. You only live once, when you die today, another person will enjoy your sweat so you berra enjoy your life now!

8 Have Enough Sleep: Depression can make it difficult for you to close your eyes and when you manage to sleep a bit and wake up, you're strucked with a hitting headache! I know because I experienced it. What can you do? Start by making some changes to your lifestyle. Go to bed and get up at the same time every day. Try not to nap. Take all the distractions out of your bedroom, No phones, Tablets, computer and no TV. In time, you may find your sleep improves.

9 Set goals:
When you're depressed, you may feel like you can't accomplish anything. That makes you feel worse about yourself. To push back, set daily goals for yourself. "Start very small," "Make your goal something that you can succeed at, like doing the dishes every other day or going to work." As you start to feel better, you can add more challenging daily goals.

10 Build your Faith in God.
 There is a saying that goes "Tough times don’t last but though people do". If your faith can be as small as mustard seeds, there is absolutely nothing you won't achieve! God is the ultimate solution to every problem. Trust and believe in HIM, he will see you through. 

If you read through to this point, Thank you! you are Amazing! please leave a comment below saying how AMAZING you are so I will know you really read this and others will be confused. lol. 
God Bless you, yes you! xoxo  

No comments:

Post a Comment